- 1 cup white rice (I used brown)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh salsa, plus more for topping (the kind in the refrigerated section)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 ounce cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt, for serving (this is the BEST substitute for sour cream!)
Cook the rice according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the salsa and cumin and cook, stirring, until the salsa is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas (plus the liquid from the can) and black beans and 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are creamy and tender, about 12 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork and divide among bowls. Add the spinach and cilantro to the black-eyed pea mixture and stir until wilted, about 1 minute; spoon evenly over the rice. Top each serving with a few avocado slices, some cheese and more salsa. Serve with Greek yogurt, if desired.